Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Acquisitions

Brought to you by the discount sale at the bookstore transitioning from brick and mortar to online, with the assistance of the "Ok, where do I start with that?" posts on Tor.com and Among Others, and also my own curiosity. No links, because that would take more time than I can justify right now. And yes, I did just read Nine Princes in Amber last week, and Zelazny had me at "I was garbed all in the color of Moby Dick and vanilla ice cream."

Bohnhoff, Maya Kaathryn. The Spirit Gate. (Slightly weird spelling of author’s name forgiven, because I am a sucker for stories about labor, politics, and religion.)

Bradley, Marion Zimmer. Hawkmistress!

Broxon, Mildred Downey. Too Long A Sacrifice

Caudwell, Sarah. The Shortest Way To Hades

The Sibyl in Her Grave

The Sirens Sang of Murder

Ford, John M. The Dragon Waiting

The Last Hot Time

Jacques, Brian. Castaways of the Flying Dutchman (I’ve never read this series of his!)

Hambly, Barbara. The Silent Tower

Henderson, Zenna. The People: No Different Flesh

MacAvoy, R. A. The Book of Kells

Tea with the Black Dragon

MacDonald, John D. Ballroom of the Skies

Offutt, Andrew J. Evil is Live Spelled Backwards

Platt, Charles. The Silicon Man

Robinson, Spider and Jeanne. Starseed

Warner, Sylvia Townsend. Kingdoms of Elfin

Zelazny, Roger. The Courts of Chaos

The Guns of Avalon

The Hand of Oberon

Knight of Shadows

Prince of Chaos

Sign of Chaos

Sign of the Unicorn

Trumps of Doom



Notably, sadly not on shelves: Katherine Blake/Dorothy Heydt, and only Brightness Falls From the Sky by Tiptree, which I already have.


3 comments:

  1. R.A. MacAvoy! There's a name I haven't heard in decades. I loved her "Damiano" series as a teenager -- Damiano, Damiano's Lute, and Raphael. That latter featured an archangel-turned-human who fell in love with a Berber woman, which for some reason blew my 14-year-old mind. And people think paranormal romance is a new genre!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had Damiano's Lute, and it looked interesting, but one of my rules was that I would not buy 2nd books without the first books. Else I would have bought much of the section. But I'm intrigued. I learned about MacAvoy on Tor, and got the sample chapter of Kells on Kindle, but was feeling poor at the time. I am glad to have found it, and Black Dragon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In fact, I read that series in the wrong order, as I so often did in those days. Apparently I'm not so literate as to notice I'm picking up the middle of a series! I read Damiano's Lute first. Then Damiano.

    I read Raphael last, but the way I remember it, it would make a good stand-alone novel, because the main characters of the first two are not present. The Archangel Raphael was a side character in the first two.

    ReplyDelete